Monday, June 6, 2011

She liked it...she liked it.... she really liked it!

So, when I started this blog a mere 6 months ago I had two pretty stellar eaters. Chicken sure, extra helping of broccoli, of course..But now I am seeing some unrest within the natives. Bribery, pleading and yes sometimes threatening seem to be the only ways to get these ladies to actually finish a meal. I have received advice - some solicited and some not -and have implemented a few suggestions, but I am about to raise my flag and surrender to the powerful and ruthless 3 1/2 and two year old. Who knew at only 38 inches tall I would feel like I was trying to take down Goliath every night around 6ish... So, I am trying to bring my A-game to the dinner table these days and tonight I hit a home run. I have to say that it was risky, because as you will see it includes Collard Greens - EEK - but to my delight it went unnoticed and I received limited complaining.... Or maybe it was because there was a high fructose corn syrup circus animal cookie tempting them to eat there dinner or ELSE!!!

I also thought that it was really delicious and plus it was healthy (don't tell the hubs) and he would have thought that it was good too if he had not headed out the door to have a dude date, right at dinner, before bedtime, right when all hell breaks loose - but I digress....

So please enjoy and check the blog out at the end of the week and I will have some new yummies to share that will be perfect for your entertaining repertoire.


White-Bean Chili
* Paula Deen for Food Network (Modified)

Ingredients

* 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

* 1 tablespoon minced garlic

* 3/4 cup diced onion

* 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts, finely chopped

* 1 tablespoon ground cumin

* 1/2 - 1 tablespoon Chili powder

* 1 tablespoon dried oregano

* Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper

* 1 pound collard greens, stemmed and roughly chopped (about 5 cups)

* 1 quart low sodium chicken broth

* 2 cups navy beans, soaked per directions

* Light sour cream, chopped tomatoes and/or lime wedges, for garnish (optional)

Directions

In a saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion; cook for 2 to 3 minutes, and then the garlic for an additional minute until slightly softened. Add the chicken, cumin, oregano, and chili powder. Season with salt and 1 to 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper. Cook, stirring, until the chicken is slightly browned, 3 to 4 minutes.

Add the collard greens and cook, stirring occasionally, until they are slightly wilted, about 5 minutes.

Add the chicken broth and pre-soaked beans and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat to medium-low; cook, stirring occasionally, for approximately 45 minutes, until slightly thickened.

Transfer the chili to bowls and garnish with light sour cream, chopped tomatoes and/or lime wedges, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment